My Blog List

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Monkey See,Monkey Do.....

As long as I can remember I've seemed to have lots and lots of problems with "Authority".
I was well into my adult years before I figured this out, even though it has literally shaped the person that I am today.

Which brings us to today's post.

Ahhhhh, the "permanent" Job.
It has been the holy grail for lots and lots of people like me as long as I can remember.
As if somehow selling our hard-earned knowledge and skills to the highest bidder for a short amount of time just wasn't good enough.
Even though some of us were very successful had a freedom almost unheard of to most people.

With life being what it is, (mostly only getting to see Lil 4 days a month if im lucky) I decided to give up on Construction/Shutdowns for a while and "settle down".

Normally on a short term job, there is no time for any political bullshit, or just plain old suck-assing to take place.
We come in, get started, it doesn't take long for the best of us to stand out, we generally end up doing the majority of the work while the rest of them either a.) watch, or b.) do what we tell them to/fetch tools. When we are done, supervision takes note of this and remembers to call us for the next job.
I like the way this works, I am intelligent and knowledgeable about my craft, I've spent 18 years learning how to do this, I also have a VERY strong work ethic. This all adds up to EARNED RESPECT.

Literally all we need is someone to tell us a few simple things.
A.) What the customer wants done.
B.) Where the parts/prints we need are located.
C.) How much time have we got to do it in.
We can take it from there, if we need anything else we will let you know,otherwise get out of our way and we will make it happen.

Fast forward to the world of the permanent job.

A lot of the guys you work with in these scenarios can be intimidated by the attitude that we tend to develop......a lot of us have a total lack of respect for Authority, because we don't need any supervision, we have craftsmanship and knowledge.
Then a supervisor with no idea enters the picture and instantly gets offended/abraded by some of us, especially if his ignorance shows a time or two. (How can you expect us to listen to you if we know more about it than you do??)
Add to that the moronic helper that he "likes" and it can make days pretty miserable.

I literally have to chew the end of my tongue off several times a just to keep from speaking my mind.

When the Monkey's run the Zoo, the Tigers had better play nice if they want to eat..........

No comments:

Post a Comment